Friday, August 31, 2007

Chapter Six ~ Nickers' New Home

The next morning, I was up bright and early to care for Nickers. As I entered the barn, he, living up to his name, nickered at me and poked his head over the stall door. Already he had improved, as though recognizing that he was in a better place.

Dale had me bring him out to the cross-ties, which are two leads attached to the stable walls, holding the horse in between and providing limited movement. That morning it was my job to groom him, clean his hooves, and do what I could to see what he could and could not tolerate. Much to my joy, he seemed to enjoy his grooming, made no aggressive moves, and although he remained a bit skittish, he warmed to me quickly and cooporated when he understood what I was asking of him. I was a bit clumsy in my movements, but Nickers was forgiving and even playful.

The crossties we were using had a lot of give, and as I lifted his front hoof, he nuzzled the back of my jacket, which lifted it, allowing a cool breeze to enter...and tickled me! As it was, since I didn't want to drop his hoof and reinforce bad behavior or haabits, I cleaned his hoof while giggling at his mischief.

Nickers was a friendly boy, but remained fearful of Dale, who, trained as a Farrier, was responsible for floating (filing) his teeth and trimming his hooves. Yet we got through this chore, then it was time for me to go to school. As my activities had made it impossible for me to catch the bus, Dale had agreed to drive me in that day.

"So what do you think of him?" I asked as I jumped into his old Ford Ranger.

"Well..." The engine started with a rumble and he gave it some gas, then switched on the defroster. "He's been neglected, that's for sure, but with a little TLC he'll be a good horse for you." Dale twisted in his seat as he backed the truck up and paused, concentrating until we were on the two-lane that ran past the farm.

"He's an Arabian, though, and they're high-strung animals. It seems he's got a sweet temperment, but right now he's on a 'honeymoon' of sorts. Be on your guard." Dale paused, concentrating on the icy roads, but glanced at me sideways. "You know he can't be ridden for awhile..."

I nodded. "I know. I don't care about riding him." I was lying. I'd always wanted an Arabian, but I wasn't stupid...this horse was so thin, and I knew he couldn't be ridden, so it was easier for me to prepare to never ride him. But then what was he good for?

Dale was silent, leaving me to stew in my lie, but then began speaking of what we would need to do. The biggest part of his training would be to get him used to being around people again, and then, perhaps, we'd see what he could do.

I told Dale about Silver, Mom's story, and he allowed that, while such a scenario was possible, it was unlikely. Nickers was in rough shape, but he wasn't critical. We would save Nickers.

That day in school, although tired, I was walking on air. I had a horse!

Immediately after school, I changed and rushed to the barn to see my horse. Dale had let him out to roam around the paddock closest to the barn, but he still saw me coming and trotted to the rail, greeting me with his trademark nicker.

I reached up to rubbed his forehead, realizing that although he needed attention, I had to focus on my studies. Dale came out of the barn and joined me at the fence. This time Nickers did not shy away, although he was not not yet ready to greet Dale with the same enthusiasm.

We spoke of what was to come; Dale was insistent that I focus on my homework. While Nickers needed attention, he felt that my education was mor important. My guess was that Mom had called and laid down the law.

"He's looking good." I jumped, then turned to see Sharon Bryski who had joined us. She stood looking at Nickers critically, her head cocked to the side. "I've been watching him; he's been a show horse." She shook her head, muttering to herself about the "throwaway culture" that spares no expense only to turn treasure into glue.

I said nothing as Sharon came to lean on the fence. Nickers, curious, carefully approached and, leaning towards her, snuffed a bit and then turned his attention back to me. Sharon handed me a treat which I passed on to him. As he happily munched away at the horse biscuit, Sharon explained that, indeed, Mom had called, and wanted to be certain there was no problem with the horse staying at their farm.

"Kaya, I'm not going to lie; it's expensive to keep a horse. It's not Dale's job to look after various rescues, but at the same time, I think we all are in agreement that this little guy needs help. You did the right thing, and we're all for rewarding the right thing." She paused, gazing into the other pastures. "Nickers has a home here as long as he needs it, and we need your help to take care of him. During the week, you have to focus on school. I have asked your mother to keep us abrest...if your grades fall, something will have to be done. We can take care of Nickers....but you have to help as you can. We have odd jobs that need to be done, and if you're going to work at the Dubai's ranch, you'll need to know how to clean stalls. We can teach you that...on your own horse."

I stared at her, surprised. The Dubai's (as we commonly called the local Arab Oil-Baron farm) were a competitor to them, and apparently Mom had revealed my "career goals."

Sharon smirked, raising her eyebrow as she glanced at me sideways. "Yeah, I know all about it. Back in the day, we'd be trying to lure you away...but now...." She sighed. "We're struggling. Dale needs help as it is. We can take Nickers, and he'll likely be a great stable-mate to some of our horses. For now, I'm only going to ask you help with him as you can. Get good grades, work hard, and we'll let you work off Nicker's board. It's the least we can do."

I didn't know what to say. Mom had warned me about the cost of board, and as it was, they weren't asking for anything but responsibility. I knew all about that.

"Thank you." What else could I say?

"Kaya, I used to be just like you, but my family already had horses. We already had this land. I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up pining after the horses with no ability to be close to them. You are blessed, both to be living surrounded by horses, and because your Mom understands you. We can provide the land, and the barn, and the feed...as long as you meet us half-way. Deal?"

I agree, we shook on it, and then continued to stand companionably at the fence. Nickers, although a bit intimidated by all the people loved the attention and stood, turning from one to another and back to me, begging treats and pats. I knew he had a good home here, and, understanding that, I relaxed in great relief. Yeah, I had to go to school, but in the meantime, my new friend could live in comfort.

***

As it was, winter passed into spring, and while the Bryski's focused on training their horses for the upcoming meet at Canterbury, I spent the lengthening days with Nickers. He had fattened greatly, had warmed up to people in general, and had proven himself not only to be a clown, but a gifted saddle horse. We had been careful with Nickers; I spent may hours with the longe line, putting Nickers through his paces under different types of saddles. He never objected. Finally, it was time to climb aboard. Mom was there, watching nervously as Dale held his head and I climbed aboard. For a moment, Nickers stood, still as a statue. I was ready for anything, trying to remember how to do the emergency dismount should he truly object to my weight.

Finally, though, he relaxed, turned his head, and nuzzled my toe. Let's go!

So it was.

Mom forbid me to ride alone, and Dale agreed, so our rides were limited to the training arena and home pastures for the time being. Dale promised that, eventually, we'd go further, but not without an escort. As he needed to take some of the stable ponies out for rides now and then, he tried to hold off until after school or weeks so I could go with him on Nickers. Sharon and Bob also liked a friendly jaunt when they could, and as the weather warmed, in spite of the business in getting ready for the summer racing season, we all went out on trail rides together, renewing our spirits, rejuvenating our souls...and training our mounts.

Already Nickers was proving himself to be a stable horse, occasionally showing his Arabian blood, but for the most part, was a surprisingly calming presence for some of the more fractious horses in the stable. Trinity Creek wasn't a large farm, but they had need of stable ponies and as summer came, I gave my blessing to the Bryski's to take Nickers to the track with their other horses. It broke my heart to do it, but as that was the summer I turned 16, I also realized that, as I'd be working at the Dubai's, I had no time for Nickers. He'd be happy at the track, and Mom said I could go on weekends if I could get a ride there and back.

No comments: